Sunday 26 January 2014

'The sky is NOT the limit' -Swazi rapper Cliff Jr

I know I haven't been doing much of my ambitious writings on the net for a couple of weeks (or more). I won't say i was busy with stuff, i will just paint it plainly I AM LAZY!!! Was that too much? Anyway....

I recently had a privilege of sitting down with a former colleague and have lunch at one of the best eateries in town and talked about him ( That was just his moment as a matter of fact). Thabiso Mamba aka Cliff Jr a Swazi Afro rap music artist.
' I have been in the music scene for quite a long time now in fact, the years have come to more or less than ten. The passion started way back even before I went to high school. We formed a group with a couple of my friends and brothers and called it M10'. Cliff Jr is so looking forward to the future and he confidently says that the sky is definitely not the limit for him. Determined to break all odds and be the best he can be, he attributes all his success to his family (His mother and father in particular).
' I would have not been here today if it wasn't for my folks. This has not been a bed of roses, especially because I still finance myself and do everything on my own. My parents have been there when I need them both financially and otherwise.
The conversation got a little bit serious and i asked about what he thinks about the local music industry. Cliff minced no words and declared his disappointment. ' Yes we are growing musically as Swazis but believe me you, it will take us a very long time to get to very high standards where our music will be appreciated internationally as-well. First of all its the supporters. Yes, people want to listen to good music and it is the musician's duty to take care of that but even so, people still prefer international artists and turn a blind eye on us here in Swaziland. We have very good musicians in Swaziland who travel the world through music but some Swazis don't even know about them. That is because people really do not care and that really makes us feel really bad as artists'

Throughout the whole conversation all I was longing for was for chance to ask about his name 'Cliff Jr'. ' Cliff is my father's name, Clifford in full. The apple did not fall far from the tree (if you know what I mean). I look a lot like my father and his friends end up calling me Cliff. Looking for a stage name has been a mission, at some point earlier in my music career i used T-Leazy, a name I got from my friends in high school at Salesian. Using part of my father's name was a way of honoring him for the great things he has done for me (including his support when everyone thought I was wasting time). A lot will think the Jr stands for 'junior' whereas it means a totally different thing. I like to be me when I do things (that's why if you listen to my music, it has a personal touch). The Jr means 'Just real.
I want to be real in all I do, I want to be different in all aspects. That is what my fans should expect from me.'

Asked on his future plans and who he has worked with, he mentioned a number of local artists including Double M 10, Motown Fam, Mr Currency, Mr Kangaroo, Mvillas, Playkid, just to mention a few. He has performed in a number of places within Swaziland, such as Game On Club, Club Babylon, Miss Cultural 2012, Matata Spar, AMICCAAL events, St Marks & St Michaels schools' events, just to mention a few.
'The future looks bright and people should expect my debut album before the end of this year.'

For bookings, please contact:
thabisomamba@yahoo.com (email)
+268 76431748 (cell number)

No comments:

Post a Comment